Banana Nut Bread
Alamoosook Lakeside Inn's Banana Nut Bread, aka: "B" Bread
This is one of our most popular breakfast items. When Barry & Debbie first took over ownership of the Alamoosook Lakeside Inn, they never had much free time. (They still don’t) Back then they would take older ripe bananas and put them in the freezer with the intention of someday making banana bread. The stash of bananas grew to the point where Barry got tired of being hit by frozen bananas every time he opened the freezer so on one not so busy day he found the time to learn how to bake banana bread. Hundreds of loafs later he still somehow finds the time to bake.
The recipe is easy with a minimal amount of ingredients.
5 very ripe bananas
1-tablespoon vanilla extract
3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 cup shortening
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 ½ cups white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees
- In a medium bowl, beat bananas. Add eggs, and beat to combine.
- In a large bowl, beat shortening and gradually add sugar. Stir in vanilla and banana mixture.
- Wisk together flour, baking soda, and salt; blend into batter.
- Add walnuts if desired
- Divide between two 9x5 inch greased loaf pans.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour & 20 minutes.